Today is the first day of the 3rd and FINAL trimester! I am so beyond excited to be in the home stretch. I can't wait to meet this little lady!
To celebrate our third trimester, I worked on a little project for Hannah's nursery. I found this monogrammed button project on one of my favorite sites www.houzz.com (just as addicting as Pinterest!).
I was looking up nursery decor on Houzz and found this guy for $38 on Etsy...however, I figured I could probably make it myself for much cheaper.
All you need for this project is: a cut out letter pattern to follow (or you can draw your letter), buttons, craft glue, and a shadow box picture frame.
Luckily my mom is the "craft master" of the Pacific Northwest and already had a ton of buttons.
Hannah's room is going to be decorated in creams, pinks and browns...so I sorted through the thousands of buttons to pick out my favorites in those colors. My mom's collection did not have enough cream colored buttons, so I did have to go out and buy a pack for about $4.99.
I decided to make my cut-out letter in a purplish-pink color...just in case I had some of the paper showing through from under the buttons. I figured having a base that was similar in color to the buttons would camouflage any missed spots.
I started with one section of the letter and laid out a pattern of buttons, flat on the paper (without glue yet), just so I could get a feel for spacing.
I shifted a few buttons around, but once I settled on a pattern, I started to glue it all down.
I moved on to the other section of the letter...still laying down a pattern before I glued it.
Finally I had a pretty good base layer of buttons covering the letter.
Here is a close up picture of the letter.
I think it turned out pretty well. I have a slightly more critical eye, so I see some things that I would like to change, but overall I was surprised at how easy and fun it was. I can't wait to see it set up in Hannah's room!
I spent a total of $9 on this project...which is much better than paying $38 plus tax and shipping...however I was lucky to already have a majority of my buttons on hand.
I picked up lots of other projects to do for H's room, so there will be lots of craft posts coming!
Happy "third trimester" to us!
To celebrate our third trimester, I worked on a little project for Hannah's nursery. I found this monogrammed button project on one of my favorite sites www.houzz.com (just as addicting as Pinterest!).
I was looking up nursery decor on Houzz and found this guy for $38 on Etsy...however, I figured I could probably make it myself for much cheaper.
All you need for this project is: a cut out letter pattern to follow (or you can draw your letter), buttons, craft glue, and a shadow box picture frame.
Luckily my mom is the "craft master" of the Pacific Northwest and already had a ton of buttons.
Hannah's room is going to be decorated in creams, pinks and browns...so I sorted through the thousands of buttons to pick out my favorites in those colors. My mom's collection did not have enough cream colored buttons, so I did have to go out and buy a pack for about $4.99.
I decided to make my cut-out letter in a purplish-pink color...just in case I had some of the paper showing through from under the buttons. I figured having a base that was similar in color to the buttons would camouflage any missed spots.
I started with one section of the letter and laid out a pattern of buttons, flat on the paper (without glue yet), just so I could get a feel for spacing.
I shifted a few buttons around, but once I settled on a pattern, I started to glue it all down.
I moved on to the other section of the letter...still laying down a pattern before I glued it.
Finally I had a pretty good base layer of buttons covering the letter.
Next, I went back and filled in any open spaces with smaller sized buttons. I wanted the letter to have more of a 3-D look, so I kind of piled the buttons on top of one another, instead of trying to match buttons super closely to lay flat.
Lastly, I glued the finished button letter to a piece of white card stock and arranged it in my shadow box picture frame (that I got on sale for $4)!
And it's done!
Here is a close up picture of the letter.
I think it turned out pretty well. I have a slightly more critical eye, so I see some things that I would like to change, but overall I was surprised at how easy and fun it was. I can't wait to see it set up in Hannah's room!
I spent a total of $9 on this project...which is much better than paying $38 plus tax and shipping...however I was lucky to already have a majority of my buttons on hand.
I picked up lots of other projects to do for H's room, so there will be lots of craft posts coming!
Happy "third trimester" to us!






Yay!! Happy third trimester Shan!
ReplyDeleteCan't believe you're in the home stretch already...eee!! The monogram is adorable! :)
ReplyDelete