Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reflecting on 2013

Happy 2014 everyone! We had the BEST year last year, but we are so excited to welcome this new year and see what is in store for us! To celebrate the closing of 2013, I answered some reflection questions...enjoy!

1. What was the single best thing that happened this year?    
     Finding out we were expecting baby #2....and finding out that he was a boy!

      And getting to celebrate our sweet girl's FIRST year!






2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
     Working through student teaching and trying to finish up my degree. It was challenging for me to deal with taking time away from being with Hannah.

3. What was an unexpected joy this year?
     Finding an opportunity that allowed me to contribute financially to my family, while being able to stay at home and spend my days with my daughter.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
     Dealing with home improvements! We bought an older home and knew there would be money and time that would need to go into fixing it up, however I was surprised to find out just how much money and time would be needed!

5. Pick 3 words to describe 2013.
     Adjust. Exciting. New.

6. Pick 3 words your spouse would use to describe your 2013.
     Fun. Short. Intense.

7. Pick 3 words your spouse would use to describe 2013.
     Busy. Hardworking. Expensive. ;)

8. What were the best books you read this year?
     Oh goodness...I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't even remember what books I read this past year! I have read some...none stand out as something I would recommend though.

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
     My husband...obviously. :) He's been my rock through school challenges, raising our baby, and my pregnancy. Our relationship has become stronger this past year than I ever knew possible.

     My momma. My mom is just kind of amazing. This past year I've found myself reflecting a lot on my mom and how I grew up. I find myself doing things with and for Hannah...or (constantly) worrying about Hannah and it makes me realize how much my mom did/still does for us that I definitely took for granted. Being a mom has made me realize the sacrifices we go through to provide better lives for our children...and its something I never thought of before I had a baby.

     My in-laws. I've always felt like I really lucked out with getting awesome in-laws to share my life with, but I feel even stronger about them this past year. Adding a grand child into the family has made me feel closer to all of them and grateful for the opportunity for Hannah and G to have such a big loving group of aunts, uncles and grandparents.

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
      Becoming more confident...specifically in motherhood. I still would like to work on my confidence and self-esteem as a woman, but I feel like my biggest personal change has been that I am completely confident in my abilities to be Hannah's mother. I remember back in May 2012 when we were in the hospital with our brand new baby, I asked a nurse if I could give Hannah a pacifier (I wasn't sure if it was frowned upon for a newborn before they learned to latch for breastfeeding). The nurse looked at me and said "you are her mom...its up to you!". And then when they gave us the 'okay' to leave the hospital and take this new baby home with us, Noah and I looked at each other with a 'wait....where is the baby manual' kind of look. The first 3-5 months were definitely an adjustment period and I second guessed a lot of what I thought was best for Hannah. After Noah and I bought our own house and I had more alone time with Hannah, I started feeling more and more confident in my abilities as a mom. Now, looking back, I kind of can't believe some of the things I went along with or agreed to because someone else recommended it. Without a doubt, I am 100% confident that I am the best mom for my baby girl.




11. In what ways did you grow emotionally?
     Hmm....haha, I'm not sure if I would really classify this as 'growth' but I have definitely become more emotional. Everything makes me emotional (and not just since I've been pregnant ;). I can honestly say this for Noah as well....anything to do with Hannah can make me cry at the drop of a hat.

12. In what ways did you grow spiritually?
      Spiritually, I believe in being the best person you can be. This past year has made me realize how much negative energy goes out into the world when you spend time judging someone and/or bring them down. It's always easy to judge someone else for their actions, looks, etc...but I've realized that until you walk in someone else's shoes, you really don't know.

13. In what ways did you grow physically?
      Hmm...well, I grew smaller...and then I grew bigger again. ;) And, I've actually shrunk about half an inch this year...weird, huh?


14. In what ways did you grow in your relationships with others?
     I've become closer with certain people, and fallen apart with others. Most importantly, I've learned the type of people I want to spend my time with, and I've learned that as we grow older and lives change, its okay to lose touch with friends...its a normal part of growing up and not something to take personally.





15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
     We bought our house on December 27, 2012 and spent all day New Years Eve and New Years day moving in...so this whole past year has been about making our house a home. My favorite part has been adjusting this house to fit our needs...and creating two perfect baby spaces for our growing family.

16. What was your most challenging area of home management?
     Dealing with the not so fun costs of home improvement. Some of the costs I don't mind because its "fun" improvement. However....spending money for a new fence, to replace a broken water heater (quite possibly in our very near future) etc....are not quite as fun.
     Additionally, its been hard for me to adjust to not being so OCD about cleaning. I despise cluttered spaces and messes...and with the influx of baby toys and toddler (and husband) messes...its been hard for me to just let it go sometimes. Some days I feel like I spent all day cleaning and didn't get to really enjoy some quality time with my family.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
     Honestly...I'd like to say all the time I spent working on school work. Hear me out...I do realize that earning a Master's degree is an incredibly high honor and one that I am so proud to have and tell me kids about someday and to be able to share the importance of education with them. However...I am really disappointed with just how long and how much time it took away from my life this past year. I know school is never a "time waster", but I feel like I could have done things differently to get it done quicker and more efficiently so that I had more time to do the things that are MOST important to me at this point in my life.

18. What was the best way you used your time this year?
     Snuggling, rocking, reading, and singing to Hannah. There have been a handful of times that I have rushed through bed time because I was exhausted or had stuff to do...only to realize later that, that moment, that night will never be one that I can get back. There will come a day when she no longer wants me to rock her to sleep, or likes to hear the sound of my (very bad) voice singing to her....cue those emotional Mama tears I was talking about earlier...Any time I have with just me and Hannah is so special and sacred to me.

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this year?
     To be confident and the old phrase "if you want to be happy, be".

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2013 for you.
     Take nothing for granted.

7 comments:

  1. Love this post Shan, you guys had quite the year! Looking forward to what 2014 brings for you all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lis! Love you! Happy New Year, friend :) Hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like 2013 was great for you Shan. Hope 2014 is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your post! Sounds like you had a memorable year and another one ahead of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a memorable year for the Cavanahs! And those pics from lunch remind me of how delicious that Azteca lunch was, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post Shan! Makes me miss you all the more!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete